New flydubai luggage policies apply to all flights booked after December 2, 2018. The updated policies are as follows*:
flydubai hand luggage allowance: size, weight and fees
|flydubai cabin bag size||flydubai hand luggage weight allowance||Number of bags allowed onboard||Cost to check in oversized hand luggage|
|55x38x20cm including handle, pockets and wheels
Plus one extra bag if traveling with an infant
|Maximum 7kg in Economy on all Lite, Value and Flex fares
Maximum 15kg in Business
|One hand luggage bag (plus one for an infant) in Economy
Two hand luggage bags (plus one for an infant) in Business
|Costs to check extra baggage range from Dh12 a kilo to Dh115 a kilo depending on the route|
flydubai hold luggage allowance: size, weight and fees
|flydubai hold baggage size||flydubai hold luggage weight allowance||Number of hold bags allowed||Cost of flydubai hold luggage|
|Checked baggage must be no bigger than 75x55x35cm||Up to 40kg of pre-booked luggage in Economy on all Lite, Value and Flex fares (maximum 32kg per piece of luggage)
Entitled to up to 40kg of luggage in Business (maximum 32kg per piece of luggage)
|Maximum 3 pieces of luggage||Fees vary depending on the route you’re flying and ticket you’ve bought but range from Dh12 a kilo to Dh115 a kilo|
How many bags can I check in on a flydubai flight?
You can check in up to three bags on a flydubai flight if you’ve booked the relevant fare type:
- Lite fares do not include a free allowance. Instead, you need to pre-book an allowance if you want to check luggage. Your weight can be split between 3 cases
- Value and Flex flydubai fares include a checked baggage allowance split between a maximum of 3 cases. The total weight limit depends on your route
- Business fares include a maximum of 40kg of luggage, split between 3 bags
Each piece of checked luggage must be no larger than 75cm x 55cm x 35cm and weigh no more than 32kg. If you go over the flydubai baggage allowance you’ll be charged an excess baggage fee for every kilo of extra weight.
Flydubai hand luggage
For flights booked before December 2, 2018, flydubai’s old luggage policies will still apply (7kg piece of hand luggage in Economy,15kg in Business. No bigger than 56cm x 45cm x 25cm.)
For flydubai tickets booked after December 2, 2018, new hand baggage policies will apply. These are as follows:
New flydubai hand luggage policy: 7kg in Economy on Lite, Value and Flex tickets. Business tickets are entitled to 15kg.
Flydubai excess baggage fees
The excess baggage fees depend on where you’re traveling to and from. flydubai splits its airport baggage charges into four categories/zones and charges range from Dh12 a kilo up to Dh115 a kilo.
- Zone 1 includes Dubai, Bahrain, Doha, Muscat, Riyadh
- Zone 2 includes Beirut, Djibouti and Jeddah
- Zone 3 includes Addis Ababa, Bangkok, Colombo, Delhi and Sofia
- Zone 4 includes Asmara
It costs Dh12 a kilo if you’re flying within Zone 1, but Dh35 a kilo if you’re flying from Zone 1 to Zone 3.
Check the rates here.
Get the most out of your flydubai baggage allowance:
Upgrade your ticket
There are various flydubai fares which give you different baggage allowance options, so consider buying a more expensive fare if you want to get the best deal on luggage. The flydubai Economy class tickets are split into three fares:
- Lite: doesn’t include a checked baggage allowance but you can pre-purchase before you fly
- Value: includes a checked baggage allowance in your ticket price so you know the cost of travel upfront
- Flex: includes a checked baggage allowance in your ticket price so you know the cost of travel upfront
- Business: includes 40kg of checked baggage in the fare price
Stick to essentials in your hand luggage
As with most budget airlines, you’re only allowed one piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 7kg with flydubai if you’re flying in Economy class. It must be smaller than 55cm x 38cm x 20cm so check the size of your bag before you turn up to the airport.
You’re also allowed one small handbag or a small laptop bag. If your bag is too big or too heavy you’ll be forced to hand it over as checked baggage and possibly have to pay excess baggage charges.
You are entitled to two bags with a combined weight of 15kg if you’re flying Business on flydubai.
Leave the vintage guitar at home
flydubai’s baggage rules dictate that you need to carry a valuable musical instrument as hand luggage, but it’s bigger than the allowed dimensions (55cm x 38cm x 20cm) you’ll have to purchase an additional seat in the same class you’re traveling in. You could book your large musical instrument into the hold but only if there’s enough space and you’ve paid for the weight (otherwise the flydubai excess baggage charges will be applied).
Baby on board
If you’re traveling with an infant (aged under 2) on flydubai, you’re entitled to one extra hand luggage bag smaller than 55cm x 38cm x 20cm to carry everything they need for the journey. The infant fare depends on the route and class you’re flying in.
* Published January 2019. Prices, dimensions and information correct at the time of publication but may be subject to change and/or availability. Always check with the airline before flying.
Not sure where to go? Check out these articles for a little inspiration:
India’s color, vibrancy and food are calling…
Pakistan is off the beaten track but don’t let that stop you!
Thailand isn’t just beaches! There are some fun-packed cities, too…